· The Union Council of Ministers exercises executive authority in the Republic of India
· There are three categories of ministers, in descending order of rank:
1. Cabinet Minister: member of cabinet; leads a ministry
2. Minister of State (Independent Charges): junior minister not reporting to a cabinet minister
3. Minister of State (MoS): junior minister reporting to a cabinet minister, usually tasked with a specific responsibility in that ministry
Points to Remember:
· The Prime minister is the member of cabinet in the executive branch of government in a parliamentary system.
· The Prime minister selects and can dismiss other members of the cabinet.
· Cabinet minister attend meeting of the Cabinet
· Ministers of state are not member of cabinet and they attend the Cabinet meeting if they are invited only.
· Minister are collectively responsible to the Parliament and they are individually responsible to the President
· A non MP can be appointed as minister but he/she can continue as Minister for more than 6 month in he/she secures a seat in either House of Parliament.