· Parliament is the supreme legislative body of India.
· The Indian Parliament comprises
1. The President of India
2. Lok Sabha (House of the People)
3. Rajya Sabha (Council of States).
· The President has the power to summon and prorogue either House of Parliament or to dissolve Lok Sabha.
· India's government is bicameral; Rajya Sabha is the upper house and Lok Sabha is the lower house.
· The two houses meet in separate chambers in the Sansad Bhavan
· Lok Sabha is also known as the "House of the People" or the lower house
· The Constitution provides that the maximum strength of the House be 552 members.
· Up to 530 members represent of the territorial constituencies in States, up to 20 members represent the Union Territories and no more than two members from Anglo-Indian community can be nominated by the President of India if he or she feels that the community is not adequately represented. House seats are apportioned among the states by population .
· It has a current strength of 543 members.
· To be eligible for membership in the Lok Sabha, a person must be a citizen of India and must be 25 years of age or older, mentally sound, should not be bankrupt and should not be criminally convicted.
· The Women's Reservation Bill proposes reserving 33% of the seats in Lok Sabha for women.
· The Rajya Sabha is also known as "Council of States " or the upper house.
· Rajya Sabha is a permanent body and is not subject to dissolution; instead one third of the members retire every second year, being replaced by newly elected members.
· Each member is elected for a term of six years.
· Its members are indirectly elected by members of legislative bodies of the States
· The Rajya Sabha can have a maximum of 250 members in all.
· 238 members are to be elected from States and Union Territories and 12 are to be nominated by the President of India and shall consist of persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of such matters as the following, namely literature, science, art and social service.
· The minimum age for a person to become a member of Rajya Sabha is 30 years.