· The Vice President of India is the second-highest constitutional office in India, after the President. Article 63 of Indian Constitution states that there shall be a Vice-President of India.
· The Vice President shall act as President in the absence of the President due to death, resignation, impeachment, or other situations.
· The Vice President of India is also ex officio Chairperson of the Rajya Sabha
· Citizen of India
· More than 35 years of Age
· Posses the qualification of membership of Rajya Sabha
· Not hold any office of profit under union, state of local authority. However, for this purpose, the President, Vice-President, Governor of a State and a Minister of the Union or a State, are not held to be holding an office of profit.
· Elected by both the houses (Electoral College) in accordance with the system of proportional representation by means of single transferable vote and the vote being secret. Nominated members also participate in his election
· The Supreme court has the final and exclusive jurisdiction for resolving disputes and doubts relating to the election of the Vice President of India.
Points To Remember:
· The Vice President holds office for five years. He/she can be re-elected any number of times.
· The President administers the oath of office and secrecy to the Vice-President.
· The Vice President cannot be formally impeached, unlike the President. The Constitution states that the Vice President can be removed by a resolution of the Rajya Sabhapassed by an effective majority (more than 50% of effective membership(total membership-vacancies)) and agreed to by a simple majority (50% of voting members) of the Lok Sabha (Article 67(b)).
· There is no specific provision of salary/pension for the ex officio Vice President, per se. He/she receives the salary of the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, which is currently Rs. 1,25,000 per month.
· The constitution provides that when the ex officio Vice President acts as the President or discharges the duties of the President, he/she is entitled to the salary and privileges of the President.
· All bills, resolution, motion can be taken in Rajya Sabha after his consent.