Tropical Deciduous Forest |  Sectors of Indian Economy |  How Legislative Council is Formed |  Insectivorous Plants |  Causes of Revolt of 1857 in Points |  Ordinance Making Power of President and Governors |  Mangroves Cover in India |  Coral Reefs in India |  Seasons and Climate in India |  Constitutional and Statutory Bodies in India |  Rock Edicts of Ashoka |  Types of Motions in Parliamentary Procedure |  Types of Majorities in Parliament |  Pressure Groups in World and India |  Order of Precedence |  Types of Rocks |  Treaties in Indian History |  Types of Rocks |  Features of Indian Economy |  Geographical Indications |  Ancient History Terminology and Meanings |  Schedules of the Constitution |  Nuclear Power Plants in India List  |  Types of Clouds for SSC CGL | Nuclear Power Plants in India ListTypes of Ocean CurrentsStructure: Layers of EarthAPPSC Group 1 Answer KeySSC JE 2017 QUESTION PAPEROne Word Substitution for SSC and Bank ExamsMPSC Answer Key 2017 2017Layers of AtmosphereMPSC Answer Key 2017 2017BPSC Solved Question Paper 2017MPPSC Solved Question Paper 2017GST Bill IndiaDelhi SultanateLaw Commission of IndiaOscar Awards Winner 2017 ListDiseases in CropsCommon Drugs and UsesDifferent Types of Deserts in WorldUPSC Civil Services Exam-2016 Answer KeyUPSC CAPF Exam-2016 Answer Key | UPPSC UPPER Subordinate Exam-2016 Answer Key | Regulatory BodiesNational Parks in India | International Airports in India  | United Nation International Years National Highways | National Birds of Countries | Sessions of Congress  | Facts About Kerala

Power/Electricity Sector in India [Electricity Generation by Different Sources]

» Power or electricity is one of the most critical components of infrastructure affecting economic growth and well being of nations.
» The existence and development of adequate infrastructure is essential for sustained growth of the Indian economy.
» India’s power sector is one of the most diversified in the world. Sources of power generation range from conventional sources such as coal, lignite, natural gas, oil, hydro and nuclear power to viable non-conventional sources such as wind, solar, and agricultural and domestic waste.
» The utility electricity sector in India had an installed capacity of 303 GW as of 31 May 2016.
» Renewable Power plants constituted 28% of total installed capacity and Non-Renewable Power Plants constituted the remaining 72%.
»Sources of Electrical Energy 2016:

» Bhakra dam on Satluj river in Punjab is the largest dam in India and highest gravity dam in the world.
» Tehri dam on the Bhagirathi River in Uttarakhand is the highest dam in India & 8th highest dam in the world.
» Nuclear power is the fourth-largest source of electricity in India after thermal, hydroelectric and renewable sources of electricity.
» As of 2013, India has 21 nuclear reactors in operation in 7 nuclear power plants, having an installed capacity of 5780 MW and producing a total of 30,292.91 GWh of electricity while 6 more reactors are under construction and are expected to generate an additional 4,300 MW.
» India's first power reactors, installed at the Tarapur Atomic Power Station were from the United States.
» With a total capacity of 1400 MW, Tarapur is the largest nuclear power station in India.
» As of March 31, 2016 the installed capacity of wind power in India was 26,769.05MW, mainly spread across Tamil Nadu (7,269.50MW), Maharashtra (4,100.40 MW), Gujarat (3,454.30MW), Rajasthan (2,784.90 MW), Karnataka (2,318.20 MW), Andhra Pradesh (746.20 MW) and Madhya Pradesh (423.40 MW).
» As of March 31, 2016 the installed capacity of solar power in India was 7564.863MW, mainly spread across Rajasthan (1285.932 MW), Tamil Nadu (1267.414 MW), Gujarat (1120.363MW) and  Andhra Pradesh (864.192MW).
» India became the world's third largest producer of electricity in the year 2013 with 4.8% global share in electricity generation surpassing Japan and Russia.

In order to address the lack of adequate electricity availability to all the people in the country by the platinum jubilee (2022) year of India's independence, Government of India has launched a scheme called "Power for All". This scheme will ensure that there is 24x7 continuous electricity supply provided to all households, industries and commercial establishments by creating and improving necessary infrastructure. Its a joint collaboration of center with states to share funding and create overall economic growth. Currently 17 states have joined the scheme.

Related Posts