MPPSC Previous Years Question Papers & Answer Key 2017 pdf
MPPSC State Services Prelims Exam 2017
Directions : Answer Question Nos.1 to 4 based on the following information.
1) Who is sitting at the Northmost point of the table?
2) Who is sitting to the right of Biju?
3) The immediate neighbours of Bhaskar are
4) Who is sitting in the exact North-East direction of Beena?
5) A circular clock has all the three hands – hour, minute and second. All the three hands coincide at 12:00 hours. What is the angle, in degrees, between the hour and second hands at 12 : 10 hours ?
6) Kanchan is standing at a point A and his friend , Kumar is standing at a point B, which is exactly in the East direction of Kanchan. Kanchan starts walking straight in the North direction. At the same time, Kumar also starts walking straight at double the speed of Kanchan. Both Kanchan and Kumar meet each other after Kanchan has walked 5 km. The distance between A and B is equal to
7) If 6 x 4 = 12, 7 x 5 = 20, 5 x 8 = 21, then 5 x 7 = ?
Directions : Answer Question 8 and 9, based on the following information.
8) Who is the first person to read the novel?
9) Who is the fourth person to read the novel?
10) Today, age of the father is twice that of his son. Twenty years later, father will be thrice his son’s age today. What is the age of the son today?
11) A special dice is made such that each side has one of the numbers from 1 to 6 marked on it. This dice comes to rest after being thrown. In this position, it is observed that all the numbers on the sides, other than the top and bottom of the dice, add up to a value equal to 10. The numbers on the top and bottom of the dice will be
12) An office has odd number of cabins. In each cabin, there are fans and bulbs fitted. The number of bulbs in each cabin is twice the number of fans in the cabin. All cabins have the same number of bulbs. The total number of bulbs and fans in all the cabins together is equal to thirty. How many cabins are there in the office?
13) A picture on a page was reduced on a Xerox copier to 75% of its original size and this copy was then reduced by 20%. What percentage of the size of the original picture was the final copy?
14) The square root of a two digit number gives a prime number. The sum of the two digits of such a number is equal to
15) The sum of five consecutive numbers is greater than 665 numbers in the above set of five numbers is equal to
16) A basket contains red and blue balls from this basket, if one each of red and blue balls are removed, it is observed that in the remaining balls, the red balls are twice in number to that of the blue balls. From these remaining balls, three each of red and blue balls are further removed, after which it is observed that the number of the final remaining red balls is thrice that of the remaining blue balls. The number of blue balls in the starting basket is equal to
17) A lake supplies water to a town. In the first and the second month, it is observed that the town consumes the same amount of water. For the next four months, the monthly rate of consumption of the water is reduced by half as compared to the first two months. After this, it is observed that the remaining water in the lake is half of the initial starting volume. The ratio of the water consumed in the second month to the starting capacity of the lake is equal to
18) The difference between cube and square of a number is observed to be square of twice of itself. The number is
19) Ramesh spends 40% of his monthly salary on food. Out of the remaining money left with him, he spends 10% on phone bill, 20% on electricity bill and 10% on laundry bill. After all the expenditure, he has Rs.7,200 left with him. Ramesh’s monthly salary is equal to
20) A clock is currently marked at a price, which is 20% more than its actual manufacturing cost. If a shopkeeper decides to sell the clock at a price which is 10% lesser than the marked price, what is the percentage of profit shopkeeper makes ?
21) A sequence of three numbers is generated such that the next number in the sequence is square of the previous number. The total of all these three numbers in the sequence has a magnitude between 50 and 99. The magnitude of the ratio between the first and the second digit of the total is equal to
22) The average weight of four persons P, Q, R and S is equal to 40 kg. Q weighs twice of P, S weighs 10 kg less than R and the weight difference between Q and R is equal to 55 kg. The weights of P and S, in kg respectively are :
23) The average marks of a class are 40. On removing one student from the class, it is found that the new average marks of the class are 30. It is also observed that the total marks of these remaining students are 60% of the total of the full class. The total number of students in the class is equal to :
24) In a solution prepared by a chemist, the volume of water is 30% of the total volume. On adding 5 litres of water to the above solution, it is observed that the volume of the water increases to 40% . How much water , in litres, was there in the original solution?
Directions : Answer Question Nos.25 to 29, after studying the following pie chart which gives the typically monthly budget of a family earning Rs.36,000 per month.
26) The family spent Rs.3,800 on telephone bill in the current month. Assuming that all the other expenses are same as budgeted amount, how much money the family has saved in this current month?
27) The family spent Rs.4,500 on food on a particular month. What percentage of the budgeted amount for food has the family spent on that month?
28) The family spent only 80% of the budgeted amount on entertainment during a particular month, which is equal to
29) For the month of November, the family salary increases by an amount equal to the combined budgeted amount for house rent, children education and telephone bill from the earlier month. During November, the family spends exactly the budgeted amount for house rent, children education and telephone bill from the earlier month. During November, the family spends exactly the budgeted amount on house rent and children education based on the earlier salary, ie., before the increment. What is the percentage of the amount spent on house rent and children education together in November, based on the increased salary in November?
30) The square root of a two-digit number is observed to be equal to the sum of the two digits itself. The students in a class are equal to such a two-digit number. Prema’s rank in the class is such that the number of students below her is four times the number of students above her. Prema’s rank in the class is
31) Varun travels a distance of 5 km at a sped of 30km/hr . Then he travels the next 10 km at a speed of 40 km/hr. Finally he travels the next 35 km at a speed of 60 km/hour. What is the average speed of Varun, in km/hour, for the entire travel?
32) You are a police officer. A patient has died in a hospital and the relatives think that the doctor is responsible. You are informed that the relatives are attacking the doctor. What do you do?
33) You are a doctor in a private hospital. You get a patient who has insurance cover up to a few lakhs. Your colleague wants to order some tests which are not really necessary. What do you do?
34) You are an official in the municipal corporation. Some volunteers of a non-governmental organization have painted one of the schools. However, they have not taken permission from you before painting. What do you do?
35) You are a government official . You are getting pressurised by some local political group to transfer one of your subordinates since he has refused to favour their leader for a contract. What do you do ?
36) You are a government official. You are asked some information under the RTI Act. You believe you know the person who has asked for the information and you are also convinced that the information will be misused. What do you do?
37) You are the advisory council member for a company against which a municipal corporation has made you a member of their fact-finding committee. What do you do ?
38) You are the member of a governing board of an educational institution. You are also the member of a local municipal corporation. The other members of the governing board urge you to use your membership in the municipal corporation to promote the educational institution. What do you do?
39) You are a freelance journalist for a publication. One of your friends wants to promote his product and offers you money if you can submit their publicity material for publication under your name. What do you do ?
40) You are in a movie theatre. Before the movie, National Anthem is played. While the Anthem is being played, some college students are still sitting in their seats and are talking. What do you do?
41) A person working as an assistant in your lab comes from a poor family and is really interested in doing a PhD. How best would you help this person get into the PhD programme at your institute?
Directions [Questions Nos. 42 to 45] : For each of the following words, a context is provided. From the alternatives, pick the word or phrase that is closest in meaning to the given context.
42) Aide : An aide of the minister answered the questions on his behalf.
43) Seek : The murderer seeks pardon from the victim’s family.
44) Disappoint : The manager was disappointed with the performance of the programmer.
(a) Unhappy because expectations are not met
45) Break : The tennis player broke the earlier world record.
Directions [Question Nos. 46 to 50] : Read the following excerpt and anser the questions asked at the end. The answer to the questions should be based on the excerpt.
46) A tiger would rather kill a buffalo than a child
47) Panthers take to child lifting
48) Which one of the following statements is false ?